The Sunday Box is a flat-out game-changer for getting your kids to pick up their stuff. I know, I know, we say that kind of thing all the time and yet, here we still are, with a house that looks like a rubbish tip.
Give the Sunday Box a try. I promise you, this is a technique that really will make a difference. If you’re tired of picking up after the kids all day every day, you need a Sunday Box. If your kids are the kind of kids (like mine) who leave traces of themselves all over the house, you need a Sunday Box.
I’ve totally got my ‘mean mum’ voice going on there, haven’t I? But, let’s face it, messy kids is a very frustrating topic.
Try this too: A quick guide to raising tidy kids
So, here’s how the technique works. It’s so simple, but so effective.
• Get a box (you will definitely need one bigger than the box I’ve used in the video 😂.
• New rule at home: every evening before bed, the kids are responsible for picking up after themselves.
• After they go to bed, do a quick whip-around. Anything that belongs to the kids that they haven’t picked up, you pick up and put into the Sunday Box.
• If it’s in the box, it means it’s confiscated until Sunday, when you put the box out with all the toys and gear that you’ve collected that week.
• If the kids fail to empty the Sunday Box on Sunday, anything left inside is donated to charity.
• Let me tell you, that box gets cleaned out quick smart.
• It also hardly ever gets full after the first couple of weeks – the kids miss their stuff more than you might think.
So, there you have it: my Sunday Box technique. We’ve been using it at our place for years and it works so well.
I hope it works just as well at yours.
Do you have a secret to keeping kids tidy to share with us?